Everyone in the construction industry knows that concrete grinding and polishing can create an ideal surface for different projects. If you are new to this, it is time that you learn more about Concrete Grinding and Polishing or simply called concrete polishing.
Here are the frequently asked questions about concrete grinding and polishing:
What is it?
In the world of construction, a Concrete Grinding and Polishing refers to the process of smoothing rough concrete surfaces. After the task, you will see a smooth and shiny surface.
How is it done?
Concrete polishing entails the following steps:
- Repair existing damage: if the floor has existing damage, it needs to be repaired first before polishing. This is called concrete crack repair. If there are oil stains, degreasing is in order.
- Grinding and polishing: once the floor is ready, the contractor will use grinding machines and diamond-impregnated segments or discs, which look like durable sandpaper. During the process, these discs will be gradually replaced with finer grit discs to produce the shine or smoothness you are going for.
- Add-ons: if you want to add concrete stains or dyes, you should advise the contractor. With this, you are adding rich and vibrant color effects to your floor.
Why consider it?
Residential and property owners consider polished concrete because it has a lot to offer. Here are the reasons why you should consider it:
- It is cost-effective: it is the most cost-effective way to transform concrete slabs into a finished floor system.
- It is waterproof: you must be aware that moisture problems or even flooding will not damage the floor.
- It has endless design options: with a little ingenuity, you can customise the color and the sheen of the polish to achieve unique patterns and effects.
- It is easy to maintain: since it does not need to be waxed or sealed, polished floors are easy to maintain.
- It is durable: in fact, polishing will make your concrete surface less porous and denser. Many commend how it resists everything from stains to abrasion, impact, and chemicals.
- It is reflective: a polished concrete floor is reflective. This means it can brighten any room thereby reducing the need for more lighting.
How long will polished floors last?
You must know that the concrete polishing process is one that is permanent. This means that it can last a lifetime. You do not need to re-polish it. However, there are times that re-polishing is needed especially in heavy-duty environment.
Remember that all concrete will crack – at some point in time. When this happens, the cracks can be considered part of the concrete’s appeal. It can add that rustic charm but if you do not want cracks, you can consider repairing it.
What are the reasons for cracking?
As mentioned earlier, all concrete will crack – even with a perfect installation. It will be useful if you know the reasons for cracking. When it is hot, the concrete will expand and it will push against anything in its way.
Then there are freeze-thaw cycles that can cause cracks in the surface over time. There are some cracks linked with poor installation. For instance, there is too much water in the mix that reduces the strength of the concrete.