Even though both terms use painting in their names, the commercial and residential process is different. Of course, painting is painting, which is a fact, but we have to differentiate these two processes to know everything about them.
Generally, the residential painting will provide you with services that will handle household services, including your home’s interior and exterior, among other things. Keep in mind that residential projects require fewer painters and less time compared with commercial projects.
The best way to learn everything about household painting is by checking here for more information.
Some residential painters are experienced explicitly in doing various furniture within your household, including trims, decks, cabinets, and many more.
On the other hand, commercial painting is an entirely different approach to manufacturing facilities, office buildings, apartments, hospitals, schools, and many more.
Generally, commercial contractors tend to concentrate more on large-sized projects with more complex, larger crew and working various shifts to handle the entire projects on time.
Essential Differences between Residential and Commercial Painting
As you can see from everythingwe have mentioned above, painting commercial or residential property requires anentirely different approach, set of skills, and tools.
Since commercial buildings come with extensive square footage, the overall process is more complicated, mainly because of customers, inventory, and other employees.
Of course, we are not saying that household painting jobs are as simple as they can get, because it comes with specific challenges that you should remember. For instance, household painting uses more vibrant colors, essential for reaching the best result possible.
Therefore, before you start searching for the best professional painter for your particular project, you should understand the distinctions between commercial and residential painting companies.
- The Scope Of a Project – One of the most significant differences lies in the size of a project because most residential projects include condominiums, townhouses, houses, and other living spaces. You can easily paint the entire exterior or only a few rooms within your home. On the other hand, industrial projects are much larger and more significant than residential. The main reason for that is thatbuildings’ types tend to range from shopping malls to small retail shops and airports, large industrial buildings, and many more. As soon as you enter this link: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/everything-you-need-to-kn_b_8285606 you will learn about everything you need to handle a painting project by yourself.
- Staff Number – We have mentioned above that residential projects are smaller in scope, requiring less labor in general. Large commercial buildings require more painters to handle both deadlines and the entire area of buildings. That is the main reason why commercial painting companies tend to employ more people to finish the project on time.
- Equipment and Materials – Since residential contractors focus on small, household projects, they tend to use both equipment and materials that you can purchase by yourself in the closest DIY store. They tend to use rollers, paintbrushes, stepladders, trays, cleaning materials, and drop cloths essential for most residential projects. At the same time, residential paint comes in a wide array of colors that can easily match both the architecture and décor of surrounding homes. We can differentiate various paints used for household projects, including water-based, oil-based, and latex-based ones. For residential projects, you should think about the finish as well, depending on whether you wish to maintain glossiness or not. Therefore, you should determine the best sheen for your particular project ranging from flat to glossy, depending on your preferences. Flat ones are perfect for hiding imperfections, while glossy ones will reflect more light in general.On the other hand, commercial painting projects handle various types of surfaces, including reinforced plastic, metal, marble, concrete, wood, and many more. That is the main reason why they have to use heavy-duty equipment such as paint sprayers, sandblasters, pressure washers, and aerial lifts. At the same time, they need to know everything about industrial-grade primers, paints, tints, and different coatings that are most durable.
- Services You Can Choose – Most commercial contractors will provide you extra services compared with residential ones. We are talking about services such as industrial coating and painting, epoxy coating, special surface preparation, metalizing, and other services that will help you improve the appeal of your business. Apart from the exterior and interior painting, commercial services include line stripping, high-durability coatings, concrete ceiling repair, brick waterproofing, metal door painting, roof coating, masonry coating, waterproof coatings, and many more. Residential painters rely on household projects, including deck staining, siding, trimming, and many more. They can also handle various surfaces, including concrete, metal, wood, stucco, fiber-cement siding, and vinyl. You can also get light construction work such as popcorn ceiling removal.
- Scheduling – When it comes to scheduling, you should know that commercial businesses have deadlines, so it is challenging to find them for emergency repairs. Some of them have an additional number of employees, which is why you can get someone to handle a particular project with ease. Commercial painting projects can happen during the open hours if you wish to handle areas that are not filled with customers.On the other hand, you should schedule a project outside the regular working hours, such as holidays, weekends, and even nights. Generally, commercial contractors can adapt to your schedule, and they can handle a project without disrupting the business in general. However, residential painting mostly happens during the weekdays, which means Monday to Friday. At the same time, they operate eight hours a day, but everything depends on your agreement beforehand.
- Project Management – Productivity is the most crucial factor in commercial painting for businesses because it is vital to avoid disrupting business and meet deadlines. Of course, everything depends on the scope of the project. Still, generally, delays can lead to severe expenses, which means that a single project tends to use various contractors simultaneously. Commercial property owners have deadline expectations, which is the noticeable difference compared with residential jobs. On the other hand, residential projects are more relaxed, and the main goal is to provide the most appealing finish and success.